Tuesday 31 July 2012

Katherine to Darwin

Katherine Springs
I stayed at the Low Level Caravan Park (A Big 4 so big money).   I treated myself to lunch and dinner in Katherine.  Lunch at The Coffee Club and then dinner at the bistro in the caravan park while listening to Tom Curtin ( a country singer who writes his own songs).  It was nice to have a day off cooking out of the van.   On Saturday morning I met up with Kylie (Brenda's daughter) who lives in Katherine.  We met for a chat at the local community market in Katherine - some lovely produce there and Asian food.   I then went off to the Katherine Hot Springs for a dip before   heading north that afternoon.  The springs were beautiful and warm not hot.   Myrtle and I  drove up the Stuart Highway and stopped at a free camp spot about 30 k south of Adelaide River.  It was a big camp area and clean toilets and by about 7 pm there was about 20 tents/caravans/campers pulled over.    After chatting to fellow campers I had a beautiful salad for dinner and then had a great sleep. It was so beautiful there early in the morning.    I headed into Adelaide River and had a look around the War Cemetery.  It was very moving and there is a lot of history in the northern NT connected to WWII.
Wangi Falls with the sunset on the rocks reflecting orange onto the water.
There was a little market in Adelaide River and I bought some Anzac bikkies!  I drove on up the highway to the turn off to Batchelor and Litchfield National Park.  I decided to drive into the camp area at Wangi Falls.   It was a beautiful spot and I pulled up next a couple (Gill and Peter with Connor)  from Melbourne (& NZ).  Gill is also an avid blogger.   I walked to the Falls and it was one of the most beautiful swimming holes I have every seen - it was such a lovely swim across to the falls.   There were so many people there (and most of them from around the world).  We live in such a beautiful diverse country!
Late in the afternoon Marina and Pascale turned up at the camp site - it was great to catch up with them again and have their company again for a few days.    I had another swim that day with Marina. There was a camp fire at the camp site that night and we had bbq sweet potato and potatoes in foil on the fire.  The next morning after a big breakfast we went off for a walk at Greenant not far from Wangi falls.  We walked up to a waterfall and rock pools and then back down and drove back to Wangi Falls for lunch and another swim.
Pascale and spiderwoman at Wangi
And then a visit from spiderwoman!   It was such a laugh and I even joined some neighbouring campers in their family photo!  Also quietened down another young camper who was crying (or maybe I just scared her into silence or maybe her parents said if you don't be quiet spiderwoman will come back!)

On the way out of Litchfield I went to Buley Rock Pools and then to Florence Falls for swims.  There are about 130 steps down to the falls.   Then off to Darwin for a few days.  I went to Berry Springs on the way into Darwin.  Beautiful swimming spot, little water falls so you can have a spa bath.  Water just warm.  I am at Shady Glen Caravan Park which is next to airport and airforce airport so the fighter jets are roaring over my van.  When I look to see them they aren't where the noise is - you have to look ahead of the noise!  I didn't hear the noise until after I booked in.   However park is good and only 7 ks from Darwin centre.  Everywhere here is so busy with it being peak season and the Darwin cup on Monday. 
Today is catch up day with washing etc. and some shopping as I had popcorn for breaky.





8 comments:

  1. Hi Barb, Loving your blog! We've been to Wangi falls, Berry Springs, etc. and loved it! Such beautiful countryside. It makes me want to go back again. You are bringing back many happy memories for us. Have a great time. love Meredith and Julian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks M & J, It is a beautiful part of our country. If I knew it was this great I would have come here sooner! Love B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hellow Spiderwoman! Great photos of gorgeous places! Love seeing where you are... keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wangi falls my favourite @ litchfielf park. Think Berry springs was the place i was trying to remember the name of? Beautiful places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such natural wonders for you to explore and enjoy Barb. I love the sound and sights of all the swimming in warm and clear water holes ahhhh wouldn't that be lov-er-ly.
    The other campers must have been surprised to get a visit from your loyal companion Spiderwoman? She pops up when we least expect it and that is so admirable about her.
    Keep on living the dream Barbie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments everyone! I feel like I have company along the way other than my little Navman!
    Spiderwoman has hidden away as she is a bit shy in Darwin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous photie of Wangi Falls! Had a wee laugh at Spiderwoman - is she your alter ego??? Sounds like you are having a grrrreat time and I like how you keep us up to date with what you are eating! You know I always enquire about the food. Hae fun Barbara. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't checked in with your blog for a bit -so happy spiderwoman found you -bet it was great to be reunited. L xo

    ReplyDelete