Tuesday 24 July 2012

Pancakes, markets, museums - more about Alice

I am on the road again and tonight at Daly Waters but more about that later.  Any there is a lot of thinking time on the road as the last few days has been full on driving all day.
When I arrived in Alice last week after being on the open road for days, I thought it was such a busy place and didn't know where to go and what to see and just wanted to leave again.  However after a few days there the place grows on you and there is such a range of people and places and it is a very interesting community.  It is very cultural with its art gallery and museum and many crafty galleries.  I even found a sculpture done by my old art teacher, Joan Brassil, from high school (in Campbelltown)   at the big cultural art gallery.   The Museum is amazing - natural history and pioneer history.  All the examples of different geological eras are around in the layers in the McDonnell Ranges.   They even have art house films every week and art studios and courses. I went to the market on Sunday and lots of stalls and food stalls and the community catching up.  Where do the pancakes fit in???  Well at the Big4 camp ground on Sunday mornings they have free pancakes for breakfast so I lined up with Merrin and the girls(who I bumped into again at the park!) (and the rest of the campground) for pancakes and a cuppa.  There was a long cue!  You had to wear a name tag with where you were from before they served you a pancake.  An encourage to be social and talk to your fellow travellers.  I also had a jump on the giant jumping pillows at the campground  - I got Amy and Sarah to go with me so it didn't seem so weird!    Anyway by the time I left Alice on Sunday afternoon I thought it was a great place and wouldn't mind going back sometime.  There is also so much to see in the surrounding area.  The McDonnell ranges (east and west) have some beautiful spots to see and not very far away.  I called into see Simpson's Gap before I left on Sunday.

4 comments:

  1. Just love your blog. Andrew and I are going to have check out these places in a year or two when Lily starts school and we can take off. Also, which art teacher had the sculpture at Alice? I didn't do art but i might remember the name! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy the teacher was Joan Brassil. You would remember her. She had a son Greg. The info on the sculpture said she was born in 1919 and my brother Geoff said she died a few years ago. Very interesting to see though and to think she taught me all those years ago......

      Delete
  2. Hi Barb
    I sent you a message last Wed but as I am new to this, I dont know if it got to you. Work at BHS as per usual. You look so well and happy and your adventures sound wonderful. I remember from our trip in 2007 that the colour contrasts of the landscape were so stunningly powerful. My thoughts are with you.
    Love Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki the landscape is amazing. It changes everyday and I went through the savannah landscape today. Good to hear BHS is ticking along as usual. x

      Delete