Saturday 21 July 2012

Ormiston Gorge - Awesome!

Have just got back in Alice Springs after having spent two nights out at Ormiston Gorge.  It was such a beautiful camp ground - toilets, shower, gas BBQ ($10 pn pp) The water hole was beautiful and some great walks.   This area is part of the Larapinta Trail.  I did The Pound Walk - it was about 4 hours and went through some beautiful country.  There was a lookout and you could see right over the pound.   The last part of the walk was over lots and lots of boulders and rocks (a river bed) then through a gap until you got to the waterhole and you had to strip off and walk through freezing water (I am lucky I am tall and it only came to the top of my legs).   It was only a few metres across so it wasn't too bad.  Then I walked along a path along the cliff to a lookout and then back to the camp ground.  It was good as it challenged my fear of heights - yahoo.
Also when I was there I bumped into Merrin (sp?) (a physio from Wang who I worked with years ago)  so I had dinner that night with Merrin, Clayton, Amy and Sarah.  It was fun and great to see familiar faces!
After leaving there this morning I called in at a few spots along the way back to Alice.  Myrtle didn't like some of the dirt roads so we did not go into Serpentine Gorge but did see Ellery Creek Big Hole and the Ochre Pits.  Also went into Standley Chasm which was a bit of a disappointment after being at a beautiful place like Ormiston Gorge.   Off to cook dinner now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment