Wednesday 29 August 2012

Karratha

On Sunday, after a swim in the ocean, then the pool, and the market and town beach, I left Broome. On the way out I called in at 12 Mile Cafe for some fruit and ice cream (incredible ice cream).   I enjoyed my stay at Beaches and met heaps of lovely people.  I stopped at a free camp spot a few hundred ks out of Broome.  It was a huge area and a few tents and caravans there.  In the evening there were little fires alight and I chatted to 3 backpackers (one from Canada, one from The Netherlands and one from France).  They were toasting marshmallows - and having them with chocolate and biscuits.   There was also a snake around someone was chasing - I think the snake survived.  I also met a couple that have been travelling and working for 12 years (with their pet budgie).  After a good night's sleep on the road again - I must say the next 600 ks is not the most interesting landscape.  I managed to get radio reception and it made a difference being able to listen to ABC RN.  I arrived in Karratha about 5.30 pm very tired and  very happy to see Tom and Petra.  The next morning Petra and I went with the dogs for a walk to the water (It is sort of a beach with mangroves) which is not far away.   We met Julie at the airport last night (she had been in Perth).  It is Julie and Brian's house and very kind of them to let me stay so I can have time with Tom and Petra.  I met Julie and Brian when I visited Tom at Lyndon Station in 2009.  Julie was the cook there (and a very good one!) and has since married Brian and made Australia her home.  

2 comments:

  1. Wow you've travelled some distance, well done Barb and Myrtle!! Broome sounded great, lots of people to meet.. and I'm sure you're enjoying seeing Tom and Petra. Talk soon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Myrtle are legends to do all those kms!
    Loving all the insights about food- if you wrote a cook book I would feast on the descriptions.
    Enjoy xx

    ReplyDelete