Friday 17 August 2012

Kununurra

When I arrived yesterday afternoon I was so hot and tired and just wanted to sleep and leave.  However after deciding I needed to do some laundry I booked into a site in the shade and did some washing (it only took a few hours to dry) then a swim (nobody in the pool as they think the water is too cold - it was so refreshing).  In the afternoon I drove down the road to the "Hoochery" where they make rum and liquers and had a taste of rum and then a coffee and rum cake (it was delicious) then on to the sandalwood factory.  They are growing Indian sandalwood here as stocks are being depleted in Indian and Asian.  They haven't harvested yet (I don't know how long they have to wait) but are using Australian sandalwood to make products in the south of WA.  I went to an art gallery down town and they had some amazing work there and the guy explained the difference with some paintings done in acrylics and other is sand and ochre.  Sunset is early here so then off to a restaurant called The Pump House which is on the river and I had a beer and watched the sunset.  I left by 5.20 and the sun had set.  In Kakadu the sunset around 6.30 pm.   I am feeling very relaxed but had better get dinner on.  The locals are passionate about their community and have told me many places to go and how I must stay longer.  So I might. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Barbie, I have finally had time today to catch up with your blog and WOW I want to go to. I didn't realise what wonderful things and places and the beautiful people you meet this is certainly an adventure. I think it would great to all maybe get together and aim for our very own girls trip around, how amazing would that be!!! I think I could even put up with the pesky wee beasties (as Yvonne would say), just to see the colors and landscape and of course even the food, plucked geese and all(yes I too would go for the food Yvonne!So how about it K,A,& Y and barbie if you can find the energy to go again!a shortened version maybe. Any way enough rambles sorry about the confusion with the hot chics picture last night. There were 2 hot babes missing though.xxxx I miss you

    ReplyDelete