Thursday 16 August 2012

So hot

I am in Kununurra and it is the hottest I have been since I left - I just hope it is a bit cooler when the sun goes down.  Now on WA time.    Staying here the night and will decide if I am going to do a Bungle Bungle tour.


Update - Myrtle had a fan belt replaced (bought three belts from Repco but only one was right and glad it was the belt that was stuffed!)  We waited till 6 pm on the Monday to get it fixed.   By the time we went to the supermarket to get food it was 7 pm and most of the campgrounds were closed but one woman took pity on us at the Boab Caravan Park and we got  a spot in there so very lucky.    A funny little camp ground but very neat and tidy as I think it has new owners and had a bit of a paint and fix up.  Nothing cheap though as $25 a night unpowered.   On Tuesday morning we headed off to Mataranka.  I had been there on the way up north and loved it so it was only a 100k down the road.  I wanted to try out my underwater camera.  We got to Bitter Springs about lunch time and went twice around the float down the river to the bridge circuit.  It is such a wonderful spot!   I think the springs must have a health benefit as I felt like a kid!  Then a drive down the road to the Mataranka homestead and then out to Kelsey National Park.  The spot was Malumjarka (or something I am too hot to look it up) and a beautiful camp area right near the river and $6.60 pp pn.  Hot showers and toilets and wood for fires.  It was warm but once the sun went down it was nice to sit by the fire as it cooled off a bit.  Next morning we went for a walk by the Roper River and it was stunning.  I didn't swim (there are freshwater crocs which are supposed to be OK but a guy I met last night said someone told him there are bull sharks in the river -  oooo!).   We drove back to  Katherine in the morning and Kathy got the greyhound bus back to Darwin.  It was great having Kathy's company for a short time on my adventures.  More fun than doing things on your own.   I drove on to Victoria River Road House camp ground.  A beautiful spot and only $10 pp powered site.  I cooked up some sweet potato and a bit of barramundi I bought in Katherine.    I drove to the WA border and had to give up any vegetables, fruit and honey.  I had a banana, 3 mandarins and a kiwi fruit for lunch!
I drove into have a look at Lake Argyle which is huge and then on to Kununurra. 
A great little campground at Hidden Valley.  Very green with hills around.




3 comments:

  1. Hi Barbs,God i can almost feel how hot it is,and thats saying something as we had a big 5 degrees today with blizzards in the mountains. Datu had to turn back at Harrietville as Mt Hotham closed the rd.
    Are you going to visit Keep River nat Park? Its near Kunnanurra, Its one of the BEST places NPs in australia, and seeing your so close it would so worth going there---a photographers dream... and such a spiritual place! I can feel the vibes from here just thinking about it!
    The best Boabs ive ever seen! and Rock art Galore...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep River NP will have to keep Lisa until I have a 4WD. So many places I don't get to see. Little Myrtle would rattle to pieces on some of these road. x

      Delete