Wednesday 22 August 2012

Broome

After talking the fellow campers at Fitzroy Crossing River Lodge Park I was told to do the 8 am river cruise of Geike Gorge as it was very hot during the day.  I drove there early and it was very busy as two bus tours had also arrived to do the 8 am cruise.  They use 2 barge like boats connected and no roof covering so it was extremely warm even that time of the morning.  It is a stunning gorge and saw heaps of little crocodiles (freshwater ones).  It is amazing what grows on the rocks.  Native fig trees with roots that go through sandstone to the water.  Also you can see where the water level rises to in the wet season.  It would be amazing to see what it is like up here in the wet.  So many towns get cut off and roads closed in the season.   There wasn't a lot to do at the park and too hot to do a long walk so I decided to drive to Broome.  I stopped at a roadside rest stop for a bite of lunch and talked to some of the other campers there.  They had pulled up to stay the night and it was only midday.  One person even was cooking corned silverside in a pot on the barbie.  This couple had sold up everything and they were on the road until they decided not to be.  They said their home address was "Australia".  I had met a few people that had opted for a life on the road.  I find the drives between places seem to go forever and this time I had some talking book audio cassettes to listen to that a kind couple gave me.  I didn't get to Broome till 5 pm last night and was lucky to get a spot at a Caravan Park near Cable Beach.  There was a cafe nearby and I got some fish and chips for dinner.  Considering how big the park is it is very quiet.  Off to the beach this morning.

2 comments:

  1. All I can say is "good on you! living the life!" I've always wanted to go to Broome. Maybe one day it will happen. Have fun! Mez.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbie---Broome Hey!, Nice country.
    Are you going to check out the protesters at James Price point. Bob brown was up there very recently. It is the sacred place of the seven sisters dreaming....part of a major dreaming track. I have a friend there whose name is Elaine Rabbit. She has a beautiful little mud place just onb the outskirts of broome. I think she teaches aboriginal studies at the uni or tafe . A fantastic woman. you would Love her. A good friend of Lindas too. Her husband was aboriginal, and she has a daughter who was a dancer in the Bengara dancers, Just ask around and someone will know her,she is an old local.I stayed at her place for a week or so. Amazing place. Give her my love if you meet.
    Have a great time
    Lees

    ReplyDelete