Saturday 6 October 2012

Vines, Wheat and Wildflowers

Yesterday it took about 5 hours to drive from Perth up to Charles Darwin Reserve at White Well Station.  I drove through the Swan Valley Wine Region with vineyards on either side of the highway then through the wheatbelt with wheat as far as you can see and huge wheat storage facilities at the towns on the way.  The the wheat changed to shrubby country and gorgeous colours of purple, yellow and cream spotted here and there.  It was just about dark when I got here (thinking I was never going to get there) and it was great to see a headlight and Luke parked at his front gate as he was thinking I must be getting there soon!   White Wells is Luke, Fiona, Tanami and Banjo's new home.  (they were my neighbours in Stanley)   Luke is managing the property for Bush Heritage as a nature reserve (years ago it was a sheep station).
Tonight a group arrive from Earthwatch for 9 nights to do research etc of animals on the property.  A group of 14 people (scientists and volunteers).  I have just cooked anzac biscuits and will get started on dahl for dinner tonight.  I said I would buy the ingredients  and do the dahl this afternoon as all the food arrives with the participants and I wanted to get a head start.  Earthwatch decide the set menu and order the food and pick up in Perth   so it makes it easier on me as I have not cooked for that many and also would not know how much to get!
F, T and B are away up north and back on Tuesday. So it is quiet at the moment.  It is fairly remote but a small town about 30 minutes away.  It is very hot and windy today.  I will get out and take some photos at sunset.  Gotta go and get the biscuits from the oven...

2 comments:

  1. The description of the changing landscape as you travel towards your next port of call is so evocative .
    The Earthwatchers are in for a treat - enjoy the yummy dahl darl xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the cooking. I wish I was with you

    ReplyDelete