Thursday 25 October 2012

Many ks

Tonight I have ended up at Coolgardie (a very ordinary caravan park).  I would have preferred a free camp spot on the side of the road but busy tourist season is over and there was nobody camped in any of them and I don't like staying at those places on my own so drove to Coolgardie and too tired to drive another 40 ks or so.  I am the closest spot to the road but all other sites occupied by mining/construction workers' vans so will just put up with the constant truck noise.  I am so tired I think I would sleep through anything.

It has been an interesting day.  The spot last night was also full of the same van's marked "John Holland" so I will google to see what they do.    (just looked construction/engineering)

I drove through the wheat belt - so many fields of wheat for hours and hours.  A flock of budgies flew into my windscreen.  I am afraid some would not have survied even though my windscreen did.  One was stuck behind my windscreen wiper.   Some were just starting to harvest.  I stopped at Dowerin just because it looked clean and tidy.    Some of the towns look like they have closed up shop.  I suppose many years ago people didn't drive so far and relied on their local vendors but now with internet and more comfortable cars a lot of the little wheat belt towns are empty.  Dowerin looked like it was cared for.  A young man approached me when I parked on the side of the road.  He came out of a shop and explained it was closed for the day due to his brother's wife having a baby but he invited me to look in the shop as he had recently rented it and was going to do it up.  I am not sure if it was going to be a second hand shop or cafe or both.  He explained he had Cystic Fibrosis and was living his dreams and was now living a healthy life and was now an "ideas man" after many previously being depressed and now making the most of things.  He had lots of energy even though he was obviously unwell.  His name was Shane and gave me a CF newsletter with an article in it on him.  It is amazing the people you meet!!!!

I then drove to Merredin.  A big wheat belt town and stopped for a break.  I bought petrol and this lovely woman Pam served me (yes that is right - she puts petrol in the car and cleans your windscreen - it has been over 20 years I think since someone has done that!!!).  She enquired about my van as her son is going to look for one for her.  She was such a gem!  A delight to talk to.

I went through Southern Cross and then to Coolgardie and tomorrow..........


No comments:

Post a Comment