Tuesday 30 October 2012

Back to Adelaide

Left the Nullabor Roadhouse about 7.30 am Sunday.  Now on Adelaide time (and daylight saving).  My whole time clock is out.  I like the drive east even though it did feel a bit boring at times.  Petrol went down from $1.99 per litre to $1.60 per litre at the next roadhouse along.   Got to Ceduna about midday.  The sun was shining and the water looked beautiful and I parked near the bay.  I had been there 3 years ago in the winter and it was dismall but today Ceduna looked good.  I bought some fish and chips for lunch (King George Whiting) and headed along the road to Port Augusta.  I hadn't been on that stretch before because 3 years before I did the Eyre Peninsula.   It was such a long boring drive through wheat fields and around bends and undulating road for hours and hours.  I listened to an audio book I had downloaded which made the trip more interesting - The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo (we had it in book club but I didn't read it then).   I ended up stopping at Wudinna Caravan Park as I was so tired at 5.30 pm.  When I pulled up I heard my name and there were people there who I had met the previous night at the Nullabor Roadhouse so we all drove the same distance that day.    It was a warm day however cooled down in the evening.   After a beer and a chat with the other campers off to bed.  In the morning I bought petrol and went for a drive through the town.  I stopped at an attractive looking cafe which was Alicia's Cakes and Coffee.  The woman was lovely and assisted by her young daughter and she made me a freshly baked bread roll filled with turkey, cranberry and Camembert.    It was the best coffee I had for a long time.  My next stop was Kimba where there is a big galah and a map saying halfway across Australia.    After that there the landscape changed and then I got to Iron Knob which I remembered learning about in primary school so called into look at the old mining town.  Then on to Port Augusta and arrived there about lunch time and had a look around the shops and then drove onto Adelaide.  The road was quite busy and I saw heaps of police cars.   After driving through the countrside I found the traffic in Adelaide really busy and stressful but thanks to Navman I arrived safely  at Joy and Andrew's at about 6.30 pm.  I called in to see them 4 months ago on my way north so it was great to see them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment