Thursday 1 November 2012

Tootling along

Robe was a friendly little town.  I went to the Caledonian for a drink and dinner (they had a roast and cider special).    It was built in about 1856 I think.  Looks like an old English pub.  It was very busy and heaps of kids all dressed up for Halloween.
  So windy this morning and not very pleasant for a walk.  This is the coldest I have been in about 4 months!  They have some lovely shops and cafe's.  The Providore was very nice and great coffee and sourdough bread.  The caravan park is probably the best I have stayed in over the past 4 months.  Great facilities and really good camp kitchen and great views and right on the beach and a walk into town.  (Seavu caravan park).
Everybody in Robe recommended a drive through Beachport.   I stopped in a little gift shop and the woman there was very friendly and had only opened her business a few months ago.  I will look for her card and mention it was it was a great little place.   It is a pretty little place on the water with a long pier but again very windy and not pleasant for a walk.  It was gusty while driving and very hard to keep the van on the road again.
After Robe I drove through Millicent to Mt. Gambier.  I had been to Mount Gambier when I was 6 years old and I remembered the Blue Lake.  I also drove out to Mount Schank.  It is a volcano hole and you walk up heaps of steps to the top and can walk around it.  Again very windy and I am creeped out by heights but enjoyed the view into the volcano (I think it erupted 5,000 years ago).
I also had a look at the sinkholes with the gardens in them.  A nice town.  Driving out of Mount Gambier through Casterton and Coleraine the countryside was lush and green and cows and sheep munching away.   Beautiful undulating hills - a pleasant drive.  I have pulled up at camps spot 642.  Very nice and off the highway at Wannon Falls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment